Saturday, April 18, 2009

Indonesia.....the food does matter!


I've read a newspaper today....no interesting news....only by-election soon to be......very ridiculous......as within 4 months.....3 by-elections already took place......
However, a story from Indonesia didn't surprise me at all. Pork meat in "serunding" or abon in Indonesian. The tales about Indonesian restaurants all over the globe really make me feel uncomfortable....I've visited Sydney in 2007....actually to present a paper at IBR (International Business Conference). The 1st time in Sydney.....surely very hard for me to find a proper place for a meal.....It's fortunate for me to meet 3 Indonesian students who were willingly to help me find a place to eat. An Indonesian restaurant......a supposed to be a "halal" ones. I spent about AUS$30 for lunch and dinner. However, a friend who has visited few countries.......offered me a very good advice......"do not put your 100% confidence of so called halal food in Indonesian restaurants". She told me......" I was in Amsterdam....few years back....and entered an Indonesian restaurant for a lunch.....and...what really shocked me was.....a very colorful poster: TODAY'S SPECIAL: SATE BABI"
And......the whole new episode in her life began....as she spent the whole week in Amsterdam....eating instant noodles.....Maggi mee of course....
And.....that story made me feel very terrible.....as I also need to spend the whole week.....eating some biscuits brought from Malaysia and.....I met a friend, the late Lukman.....a lecturer from UM, who willingly to share some wonderful time.....looking for halal food in Sydney, and we managed to find a Malaysian restaurant in Sydney, very near to Pitt Street. However, I've posted this before in my blog...he passed away due to complication of cancer (at his leg).
So, whenever you travel abroad.....the issue of food is very crucial.....and we need to do extra preparation. I've experienced last year in Constanta, Romania. It's also very difficult to find place for halal food although, the city is considered as centre for Muslim community in Romania. Banana was my routine for breakfast, lunch....dinner and...sometimes supper.....and I lost 2kg in a week.....




No comments: